We're here to provide an independent, confidential and informative service dedicated to students. Our qualified staff can act as advocates for issues relating to third parties, where they can make telephone calls, write letters and/or attend tribunals etc.


Whether you live in halls, private rented or council accommodation we can advise you on a wide range of matters including:

  • Looking for somewhere to live
  • Deposits
  • Guarantors
  • Tenancy agreements
  • Repairs
  • Harassment/illegal eviction

For all aspects of student housing visit the following site:

Harassment/Illegal Eviction

Guide to Private Renting

NUS: Housing Advice

Housing Guide


Sunderland City Council: I need somewhere to live

Shelter: Housing and Homeless charity

University Accommodation

You can access the University Residential Services page to find information on halls
and much more.

Go onto student pad where you can browse available accommodation. Student pad also have a useful housing guide.

It is important that your student accommodation is a high standard and meets the national code of practice for the management of student housing and we are proud that the University supports the code fully.

Student Complaints, Student Disciplinary,
Harassment & Bullying

If you are unhappy with a particular service; or any other aspect of the university you are able to access the Student Complaints Procedure. We can accompany and guide you through this procedure. We can also help if you are in breach of the rules in respect of student conduct and discipline or feel you are the victim of bullying, harassment or discrimination.

Consumer Issues

Where you have problems with goods and services (including utilities gas, electricity) we can assist you and advise you on your rights. For further information and advice visit the following sites:

Trading Standards

Advice Guide

Employment Problems

Many students work part-time to support themselves financially throughout their time at university. Often some employers take advantage of students leading to a number of problems including:

  • Unpaid wages
  • Unpaid holiday pay
  • Unfair dismissal
  • National minimum wage

If you are having problems with an employer please let us know. For all work related enquiries you can contact ACAS for free impartial advice.

You could also visit Student Tax Services. This site is designed to explain tax and national insurance matters relating to students, including how to claim tax back. It includes a free calculator for you to check to see if you are due a refund.



t: 0191 515 3030

Edinburgh Building
City Campus