National Student Volunteering Week is an opportunity for students to get involved and make a difference. It offers you the chance to engage with the local community and create a positive impact within the City of Sunderland and beyond! All throughout the week you can find events and activities from the University of Sunderland and Sunderland Students' Union.
Events happening with the Students' Union:
- It all kicks off on Monday 11 February when you can drop in to the Gateway at City Campus and help brighten a child's day! Post Pals is a National charity which sends uplifting and inspirational greetings cards to seriously ill children and their families. It couldn't be easier to volunteer your time, simply come along and make some cards with us - just a few minutes of your time can bring a smile to a child's face.
- Tuesday 12 February offers you the chance to help bring an end to plastic waste! Come along and learn how to make an 'Eco Brick' with the Sunderland Community Garden: Just let your soul grow and see how the project is helping to educate the community and bring together people of all ages in a bid to help save the environment.
- Also help recognise the skills you've developed through your volunteering and how this can help you apply for jobs in our 'Tranferable skills through Volunteering' Workshop led by the Careers and Employability team. Click here to find out more and book a place.
- The Students' Union is always eager to hear what you have to say so come along to Reg Vardy Building, St Peters Campus on Wednesday 13 February. You'll get the chance to attend our second Activities Forum and share any feedback or ideas you may have to help shape the future of activities and opportunities on offer at Your SU.
- On the morning of Thursday 14 February, come and give a cat a cuddle to help support Animal Krackers, a charity to work to rehome rescued cats in the local area. It's super important that the cats remain socialised, allowing them a better chance at being rehomed so come along and give a little love and affection to some of our feline friends!
- Finally, make sure you get down to The National Glass Centre on Friday 15 February and find out all about the volunteering opportunities in the City and what the Students' Union has to offer at the Sunderland Futures Opportunities Fair. We will also be giving you the opportunity to design and draw on your own volunteering themed tote-bag! (limited numbers available so get down early). More information click here.
More details and information on how to get involved for each event will be available soon on the SU website. There will be limited spaces for certain sessions/opportunities so please make sure you book early! Remember to follow and share all of the events throughout the week using the hashtag #SVW2019.